A number of Native Americans were among the early Adirondack guides, and Mitchell Sabattis of Long Lake was one of most famous. "Sabattis was short and slight of stature, but with exceptional strength and endurance," wrote Ruth Timm, author of North Country Tales, Truths and Trivia. "He was gentle and unassuming, and unexcelled as a woodsman. Throughout his life he was an expert guide and his services were regularly sought after."
In 1850 sportsman and writer L.E. Chittenden went on a hunting trip with Sabattis as one of his guides. Chittenden became very fond of Sabattis, "... and respected his skill as a guide and hunter." The author often boasted of Sabattis's skill and wrote at length of a hunting trip they made together:
"Sabattis...took a lively interest in the religious affairs of the town," wrote Ruth Timm. "The Reverend John Todd, who brought the first formal religion to Long Lake, often spoke of his 'young friend Sabattis, a nobel young Indian man whose violin leads the music in public worship.'
"In 1865, the Wesleyan Methodists decided to build a church and Mitchell undertook to raise the necessary funds. In his activities as a guide he served some well-known ministers from Philadelphia, Pittsfield, Boston, and New York. He went to them for help and was permitted to speak to their congregations to plea for financial assistance. When he returned from his trip, he had $2,000 for a new building. After that the Indian was often asked to speak from the pulpit."
Michael Steinberg wrote, "In 1880 the old Abenaki Indian Mitchell Sabattis was still the most famous Long Lake guide. He was small, quiet and so strong that he worked as a guide into old age. He could track deer at night by the sound of its footsteps, with a rifle in one hand and a lantern in the other. His hotel was not as fancy as or as famous as the Prospect House (in Blue Mountain Lake) but visitors looking for the 'real' Adirondacks stayed there whenever they could. After he died, a mountain to the east of Long Lake village was named after him, and a village to the west was given his name."